Friday, July 28, 2006

Last episode of "The West-Wing" airs tonight....

"The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks;
the long day wanes ;the slowmoon climbs ;the deep
moans round with many voices.Come my friends.
"Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push-off, and sitting well in order smite
the sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
to sail beyound the western stars, until I die.
It may be that gulfs will wash us down; it may be we shall touch the happy isles,
and see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much be taken , much abides; and tho'
We are now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and Heaven; that which we are ,we are,
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will.
To seek, to strive, to find, and not to yield.

Alfred Tennyson from "Ulysses"

2 comments:

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

OI!!! That's MY favourite poem! I use a quote from it as my signature EVERYWHERE! Gerroff! I saw it first.

(Oh boy, another Tennyson fan. I thought there were none to be found.)
Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Tennyson went with my big Pre-Raphaelite phase along with Keats ,Rosetti ,Swinburne etc. I dig them out for Holly who loves poetry .I cheated with this one as it's a Kennedy favourite and was famously used by Ted at a convention in which he conceded to Carter...that makes it all the more moving.E.M.K has a great speaking voice .