Thursday, August 24, 2006

Searched my bookshelves..

surfed the net and I have to say the net can't beat a book.You get a few add-ons but you can surf for hours for what can be in your hand and read in a day. So H.M ( if you havn't read previous posts that is Henrietta Maria..not Lizzie Windsor). we have an appointment at "Waterstones" . There was a bang on the door at 2.30..my latest Colinette order.I am knitting an autumn shawl so needed far more browns than I had . I think I must be very quaint because I find dealing with the loud men rather intimidating.Luckily our postman is very quiet. Yesterday Holly and I watched "Howard's End" and Prunella Scales was wearing a long gabardine coat , had on a lovely hat and was carrying a carpet bag ..that is how I want to look. I remember a comedy sketch that might have been on French and Saunders .Anyhow a woman goes around town in Victorian costume and pops into the corner shop where she asks to have a Mars bar wrapped and sent to her house..it was hysterical. I want to look elegant when I go out now and again ...white gloves is one thing I can't stand .Everytime I look at Ethel Kennedy she looks like Minnie Mouse ..only her hands I must add ( back in the 1960s).

2 comments:

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Or wouldn't you love to look like those impossibly chic women in The Great Gatsby. Or almost any French movie...

What was that big movie a few years ago about a country house weekend where the master of the house was murdered? Lots of lovely bias-cut evening gowns in that.

Anonymous said...

Most of the things we watch are for the "Schmutter".We love "Poiret" ...but if you havn't seen Merchant Ivory's "Wings of a Dove" you must ..dresses that are just sooooooo gorgeous !